This post will make most of you shake your head and wonder why it took me so long to “get it”, but alas…..it did. A few things I’ve realized over the past weeks and finally come to grips with –
- Concealer is a necessity – not just for those late nights or lack of sleep nights, but now necessary every day, no matter how long or well I slept the night before.
- We’ve been “Dave Ramsey'”ing it, thus when the hair dryer broke, I did not buy a new one. Note to self – buy a hair dryer…your self image and your hair needs it. That good ol air dry look simply doesn’t cut it anymore.
- I cannot multi-task like i used to – you know, listening to 3 girls chatting non-stop about their day, having my own thoughts of trying to figure out what is for supper, continuing to think about an issue I’m trying to resolve, and trying to figure out if my husband will be home for dinner and if not then maybe we can have pizza, but then thinking there isn’t budget money for that, and then oh, the budget…did I pay the bills due on the 15th….what did you say, girls? I can only do ONE thinking thing at a time.
- At the end of the day I simply must reserve a little energy for my husband. I can try and go the extra mile, but falling asleep at 8 when he is telling me about his day just isn’t great for the marriage.
Yep – taken me 30+ years to figure some of those out and finally get them through this thick skull of mine, BUT alas I have figured them out (at least for today)……
A few things you might not know about me-
- I love chocolate peanut butter corn pops.
- I have a reputation for being a bit testy if I run out of chocolate.
- I like processes and systems and all things organized.
- My husband is a much better cook/chef than I am and I am so so thankful.
- My children and I have all tripped on our own feet and ran into walls that were there the whole time, but somehow got in our way.
- I love reubens and hot dogs and sauerkraut, but alas, my children haven’t experienced this due to an aversion to the smell of sauerkraut by a certain person in our home.
My husband – I love the man. He is unique and as the years have gone by, I chuckle at us. Why, you say? Let me give you an example.
This past weekend, we got to enjoy a few days alone in Washington DC while the girls were watched by Grammy and Grandpa in Raleigh. Yay! We went to the mall one of the evenings and guess where we spent the most time…….yep, you’ll never guess, so I’ll just tell you – in the Waterford Crystal Department.
The man simply has ‘fine’ tastes. Me – I have fine taste after its’ been downgraded at the thrift store. He simply ooh’d and aww’d at the crystal while I kept my hands deep in my pockets, and stayed in the aisle. I am not the most graceful of people……..in fact, my main aversion to Crystal is simply this – one day I’ll have to wash it and on that day, the stars will all align and I’ll trip over my feet, hit the dog, bang my head on the counter, twist my ankle, and fall clutching the crystal he so dearly loves, only to hit a child trying to rescue me and thus breaking the beautiful crystal upon her head.
Maybe one day, my dear…..but if we ever do buy those pretty glasses, you gotta wash them…… 😉